days of the week


4 years ago, when I first worked at Lowe's, many of my Posts would refer to the Wednesday that was my Friday, or the Tuesday that was my Saturday. We have this strangely defined work week. And this psychology of working for the weekend. I've been thinking a lot about this lately.

Today is my Sunday that's a Sunday. But next week my "weekend" will be a Monday and a Tuesday. 

A customer yesterday was concerned that I was working on Monday, the Labor Day holiday. But yet, these same customers expect businesses to be open on the weekend, as defined by Saturday and Sunday plus holiday.

In many ways I like the retail rotation. I'll work about 4 days and then have one or two days off, at times I'll work 6 days in a row and then have 2 days off. Some weeks, like this week, I have a Sunday and a Thursday off. I get to spend time at home, but I also have a day to take care of household business during "regular" business hours.

Currently, my work hours are 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. which is just about perfect to wake up slowly, have plenty of coffee, read and catch up on the news, perhaps make a call during business hours and water my plants. by the time I return in the evening it does make for a late dinner, but often WC is still on a conference call with the West Coast when I walk in the door. We will make it work.

This schedule does leave WC unsupervised at times. On occasion I can find a sitter to take him golfing, or otherwise entertained. 

Comments

  1. They lack of supervision can often generate amusement... as well as injury.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts